Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

You're just too good to be true

Can't take my eyes off of my new tattoo. I know that I said I wanted to wait until I had my color done, but I've never been one to be patient. Especially now that I'm bursting at the seams to share my new gem. First, let me drop a little knowledge on you about it's back story. This tattoo means a lot to me. It was tought up by me, drawn by me and tattooed by not me (my friend Justin!) It is my own personal depiction in traditional style of Marie Antoinette. Anyone that knows me, knows that Marie Antoinette is barr none my favorite historical figure of all time (and I'm a sucker for historical figures). I thanked God when I caught wind of the trailer being put out by Sofia Coppola for her Marie Antoinette movie. I saw it in theaters, bought it when it came out on dvd and I have watched it more times that anyone you know, I'm sure. What captured my heart about France's last queen was my overwhelming sympathy for her and my philosphical love for the human condition.

She was just a girl when she was married to Louis XVI and just a girl still when she became queen and so I wanted to depict her as a girl when she was at her most impressionable and under the most pressure. Married on paper by the age of twelve, a wedding ceremony at fifteen and a queen by nineteen, Sofia Coppola hit it out of the park with the "she had no idea what she was doing" aspect and it made me think that she was just like any of us - wanting to act her own age; that maybe she was never meant to be a queen. Have you ever heard the catch-phrase, "A real slice of life"? Well, I wanted something like that captioned next to her and when I heard, "Un boit pour le roi" in the final scenes of the film, (translates to: a drink for the king) it was just what I was meant to hear. Marie Antoinette was Louis XVI's drink of life. Thanks to her, his life was a whirlwind that he never expected. She was his drink of life and if only he knew what would come of marrying her. But the most important message that this tattoo gives me is this: we are all human. I love, love, love my new piece and without further adieu...




Courtesy of Justin at Yer Cheat'n Heart Tattoo in Gardena, CA.

I love tattoos and the messages (and sometimes the non-messages) that people attatch to their pieces. If any of you out there would like to share some with me, I will read each and every one. Happy blogging everyone :)


Also, I'm 23 now, guys! Happy birthday to me.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday and I love your tat! I'm actually featuring my newest tat on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, so much! It's one of those pieces that you think would have taken me a while to come up with, but the idea struck me in all of two days when my friend Justin said (on wednesday) that he could give me one on friday. Go me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha the minute I saw the Kurt Halsey one that I got I knew I had to have her. Sometimes it's just so meant to be!

    ReplyDelete